The Trauma and Triumphs of Donor-Conceived Individuals with Laura High
Aug 18, 2023
“Donor-conceived people have to live with the choices the recipient parents made more than anyone else.”
🦩 Importance of addressing trauma before starting assisted reproduction.
🦩 The significance of acknowledging the biological parent in donor-conceived families.
🦩 How to have open and honest communication in donor-conceived families.
🦩 The significance of donor medical history.
🦩 Creating a safe and ethical donor conception process.
Are you considering starting assisted reproduction as the answer to your infertility struggles? There are some significant things to keep in mind if you want to become a parent to a donor-conceived individual. These include mental health, donor medical history, your insecurities, and more.
In this episode of the Finding Fertility podcast, I speak with Laura High, a standup comic and sperm donor baby who does comedic takedowns of the Infertility industry and explains how donor conception actually works. She discusses her experience of contacting her donor, discovering her Jewish heritage, and discovering potential siblings.
Listen in to learn the importance of addressing trauma before starting assisted reproduction to become a better parent. You will also learn about the positive impact of allowing your donor-conceived child to meet their biological parents.
“The infertility trauma does not go away; a child is not a cure for the trauma.”
- [02:32] The trauma experienced by donor-conceived individuals and the need for empathy and therapy before starting the process.
- [09:56] The importance of recognizing the biological parent in donor-conceived families to avoid invalidating your child’s identity.
- [16:14] The positive impact of meeting biological parents for donor-conceived individuals.
- [19:39] Laura explains her positive impact on the donor-conceived individuals’ community.
- [28:55] The importance of verifying and considering the donor's medical history to ensure the well-being of donor-conceived kids.
- [32:28] Why Laura advocates for making the donor conception process safe and ethical for all parties involved.
- [35:27] The importance of being open and honest with your donor-conceived child to avoid invalidating them.
Connect with Laura:
Listen here: The Trauma and Triumphs of Donor-Conceived Individuals with Laura High
Let's Do This Together 💚
🌺 Book Your Discovery Call Today here: https://calendly.com/findingfertility/discoveryconsultation?month=2022-10
🦩Download your FREE 3 Things that can make all the difference in helping you get & stay pregnant here: https://www.findingfertility.co/free3stepguide
Connect with Monica over on
🎙 Subscribe on your favourite podcast platform:
Anything written or said about health and diet are my opinions, that I have formed over the years, through trial and error, study, reading, listening and observing. What worked for me, may not work for you. I am not a doctor, nutritionist or dietician and all medical advice should be gotten from a qualified professional. Product recommendations are based on what I used during my infertility journey or wish I had